Paula wrote:
> Mark, I was being generous. I was assuming Lester Brown wrote his
> article (the most recent one of the three that Darrell passed on)
> before he heard about 'glaciergate'. Otherwise I find it difficult to
> believe that he would have included the following paragraph
> [highlighting mine]:
>
> "The glaciers in the Himalayas and on the Tibetan plateau make up the
> largest body of ice outside the poles and provide water to Asia's
> major river systems, which supply water to over 2 billion people.
> This water is vital for drinking and for irrigating the wheat and
> rice crops in China and India, the largest in the world. In recent
> years, Himalayan glaciers have been retreating at rates ranging from
> 10 to 60 meters per year. As the glaciers disappear, the dry-season
> flows of river systems that depend on them may decrease by up to 70
> percent, making them seasonal rivers. River systems at risk include
> the Yangtze, Yellow, Indus, Ganges, and Brahmaputra."

Paula, the important question is not whether the report on Himalayan
glaciers melting was true or false, or whether the East Anglia
scientists disgraced themselves. These are not worth debating since
there is no disagreement.

It is instead about the *basic* question whether climate change is being
impacted by greenhouse gases to disastrous effect on people and other
living beings. You seem to be evading this question while intervening
around its periphery through guerrilla-style sniping at the majority
camp. Unless you come to terms with the *basic* questions which overlap
science and society, you will be viewed as disingenuous--at least by me.