> I didn't know Totem Pole was a racist term.
not the term, it's use as a referent leaves something to be desired; of the
same ilk as "holding down the fort," for example.
That said, I appreciate the clarification and certainly agree that the term
"middle class" is a rather ambiguous term, which is why it is better not to
amalgamate workers of color with the more privileged layers in any of our
communities. And, yes, I know how un-mobilized our communities are at the
moment (although you are correct that Latinos, especially undocumented workers
and youth, are beginning take "steps"). The more privileged layers of our
communities, tied to the twin parties of war and plunder, are helping to keep
things that way. What I believe is feared is the potential for working people
to overstep their "leadership" and build a much more combative leadership,
which is why so much energy is expended, including the nomination and election
of a Black President, to put privileged people of color in positions where they
are maintaining the status quo, like the Obama administration.
sorry for the knee-jerk admonition. It's late and I should just get some
rest.in solidarity, my brother.
Manuel