Happy birthday, Gary!
Now I don't at all consider your post an indulgence. I think Pullman
is an important figure for we on the left.
The review of O'Collins' book attacking Pullman is at:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/aug/12/priest-accuses-philip-pullman-christianity
By the way, Gary, when you say you're not going to read the book I
certainly hope you mean O'Collins, not Pullman.
In any case I'll read O'Collins because the ways in which people
respond to Pullman I think are important.
Because it's true, Pullman is against BOTH churches as institutions
AND against the concept of god(s).
I may have mentioned previously that Pullman has purposely done
yeoman's work in countering the influence of C.S. Lewis -- and in fact
after reading the Scoundrel Christ I was inspired to finally tackle
Lewis's science fiction trilogy -- and it's every bit as dangerous and
reactionary as his apologist writings and the Narnia Chronicles
(although not nearly as well-written as the latter).
Finally, as for Pullman's emphasis on "true stories" -- as opposed to
the "myths which are true" believed in by Lewis and Tolkien -- contra
O'Collins, Pullman is much closer to historical reality, and when
that's indeterminable, perfectly within his rights to create his own
fictional version of an already fictional life. (See Engels and
Kautsy. See also Carl Sandburg or Kurt Vonnegut)
PS: Love your quip at the end!
Andy