Rowan Williams - an Anglican bishop, poet, and theologian (and the current
Archbishop of Canterbury) does not regard the story of crucifixion "as an
edifying fable" (and surely not that it "must be recaptured from the mass of
Pauline falsification").

John Shelby Spong  once accused Williams of being a "neo-medievalist,"
preaching
orthodoxy to the people in the pew but knowing in private that it is not true
... Williams responded: "I am genuinely a lot more conservative than he would
like me to be. Take the Resurrection. I think he has said that of course I know
what all the reputable scholars think on the subject and therefore when I talk
about the risen body I must mean something other than the empty tomb. But I
don't. I don't know how to persuade him, but I really don't."[Wikipedia]