On Aug 12, 2010, at 10:00 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> From this review I infer that Pullman is as oblivious as Williams to
>> the central fact about Gethsemane: that the disciples were *armed*
>>

> I would say the central fact about Gethsemane, which too many
> parties today
> are wont to forget, is that Jesus genuinely didn't want to go
> through with
> it.
What's the "it" that he "didn't he want to go through with?"
> That said, wouldn't *anyone* lurking around the countryside at
> midnight in
> first-century Palestine, who wasn't an unmitigated halfwit, have
> been armed?
The Mount of Olives is not the countryside. Its the middle of Jerusalem.
> What's your point about it? Presumably not that this guaranteed their
> successful ambush of a Roman legion!
It wasn't a legion, it was a cohort.  But the point is--they didn't
expect the Romans at all. Judas had been sent to fetch the Temple
Police, plenty of whom were presumably secret followers of the
Messianic movement who would change sides as soon as the swords were
drawn.  But not with Romans lurking behind,. as Judas had whispered in
Jesus's ear.
So Peter was told to put down his sword and all but Jesus fled.
Ask yourself--they were all safe in a secret location in Jerusalem.
Nothing prevented them from praying all night if they wanted to. Why
did they all go to the Mount of Olives and make sure the Temple Police
were informed?

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things." Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64