  Gary--

O'Collins (who's even older than you are) has spent too much time in an
obsequious academic culture  (and the academy - especially in Europe - is far
worse in that regard than the church).

He's offended by Pullman's literary attack (which in fact is curiously and
obviously double-minded), so instead of taking the occasion to preach the
gospel, as the much more literary Abp. Rowan Williams did
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/apr/03/good-jesus-christ-philip-pullman),
he simply fulminates (which, BTW, is the very opposite of being "Jesuitical").

O'Collins misses the fundamental point Williams starts with: "This is not a
speculation about the beginnings of Christianity ... It is a fable through
which
Philip Pullman reflects on Jesus, on the tensions and contradictions of
organised religion -- and indeed on the nature of storytelling..."

"A very bold and deliberately outrageous fable, then, rehearsing Pullman's
familiar and passionate fury at corrupt religious systems of control -- but
also
introducing something quite different, a voice of genuine spiritual authority."

The whole review deserves to be read, because Williams is doing exactly what a
bishop (episcopus) is supposed to do - announce the good news to the world at
large (or in this case, that part that reads the Guardian); from words like
his,
some  "have seen through the surface froth of religion and heard the voice
Pullman himself obviously finds so compelling."  O'Collins OTOH is just an
academic.

A belated happy birthday, CGE