Hi,

I'm starting to use Mason2 on new projects, and in the whole I think
the changes from HTML::Mason were extremely positive.

There is one aspect that bothers me: by default, substitution tags do
not perform a HTML escape filter.

I think this is a dangerous default, and forces me (let's ignore for
now the DefaultFilter plugin) to include | h on the vast majority of
my substitutions.

I was wondering why such decision was made. I read through the CAVEATS
section of the Mason::Plugin::DefaultFilter documentation, and while I
concede that a default filter configuration like Mason1
default_escape_flags is action-at-the-distance (and that is bad), I
find that the default is even worse.

For now I'm using the DefaultFilter plugin. It saves me a lot of
typing and I believe it to be worth it, so my "problem" is solved.

But I would like to understand why the decision of not doing HTML
escape was taken. My point of view is that a | raw is more obvious and
easier to grep for than the lack of a | h on the elements that
actually don't need the escaping.

Thanks in advance for you time,
--
Pedro Melo