These examples look great, Darren.

One small detail:

The cover page of the PDFs list John and Darren as authors.  I think the
docs (particularly the docstrings) have probably been written by a much
larger community.  If it's not practical to list all contributors
(probably so given all of the hands that have worked on this over the
years), maybe John and Darren could be credited as editors.

Cheers,
Mike

Darren Dale wrote:
> On Friday 23 May 2008 7:08:09 am Paul Kienzle wrote:

>>> I don't mind using latex for math where is really helps but I think we
>>> should try to keep it to a minimum, since it appears mathml in the
>>> browsers is poorly supported.  I also want to keep the docstrings as
>>> human readable as possible.  I know that in some cases latex *adds* to
>>> the human readability, but in other cases it detracts, so we want to
>>> balance the elegance of the final pdflatex generated PDF output with
>>> the reality that many will be seeing the docs either in plain text or
>>> improperly rendered HTML. If it can be done easily enough with ascii
>>> math art, we should prefer that.
>>>
>> Yes it is nice to keep things readable for the help system.
>>
>> One possibility is running the docstrings through a preprocessor as
>> part of the install process.  This can remove extraneous reST markup,
>> and using tex2mail, convert latex formulae to ascii (I haven't tried
>> it yet, but that's what it claims to do).  This also lets you plug
>> in attribute documentation at compile time rather than doing runtime
>> hacks.
>>
>> However, the problem I was referring to above is that IE7 is not
>> rendering the xml, even for pages which did not have mathml.
>> This might be something simple like making sure files use .html
>> rather than .xml.  Darren has taken the temp pages down so I can't
>> try that.
>>

> I moved them when I updated mpl to split the API reference from the Users
> Guide: http://dale.chess.cornell.edu/~darren/temp/matplotlib/
>
> I just heard from Jens again, he has another extension that uses png's rather
> than mathml. I'll try it when I get to work this morning, it should work in
> all browsers and we can use regular html files.
>
> Darren

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division