On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 6:08 PM, Paul Kienzle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It looks okay in Firefox 2.0.0.14 (though it did complain about missing the
> mathml
> fonts).
>
> IE 7 displays the xml tree.

I don't mind using latex for math where is really helps but I think we
should try to keep it to a minimum, since it appears mathml in the
browsers is poorly supported.  I also want to keep the docstrings as
human readable as possible.  I know that in some cases latex *adds* to
the human readability, but in other cases it detracts, so we want to
balance the elegance of the final pdflatex generated PDF output with
the reality that many will be seeing the docs either in plain text or
improperly rendered HTML. If it can be done easily enough with ascii
math art, we should prefer that.

JDH