Are you using the wxAgg backend or just wx?  Which version of matplotlib?

If you're using 0.98.x with the wx backend, things are *very* slow.  The
performance of wx.GraphicsContext (that is uses under the hood) is
terrible.  You may want to try switching to the WxAgg backend, which,
among other things, will automatically simplify the line so it doesn't
plot points whose effect would be invisible.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Mike

Paul Hartley wrote:
> I have developed a wxPython GUI that uses matplotlib to plot line
> traces (using plot()).  If I were to plot about 250,000 data points,
> it takes nearly 1 minute to load the plot (using a intel dual core),
> although once this plot is loaded, it is easy to interact with it -
> changing the x/y scale & scrolling along an x-axis, etc goes
> smoothly.  Is there a strategy for loading these plots faster?  I
> basically just call a plot() function with the 250,000 datapoints...
> I've plotted as little as ~15,000 datapoints, which loads much
> quicker.  One strategy I can think of would be to only load a segment
> of data and add more points to the plot as you scroll down the
> x-axis.  But that would require appending to the current plot()
> instance, which I assume isn't possible.  Thanks to anyone who has
> some insights.

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division