Jörgen Stenarson wrote:
> Michael Droettboom skrev:
>> Unfortunately, I think this is a bug.  The ordering of fonts in the
>> family list is being ignored, and Bitstream Vera Sans is winning over
>> Nimbus Roman for reasons other than its name.  I'll have to get this
>> patch in for the bugfix release we're already planning.
>>
>> As a workaround, try putting only "Nimbus Roman No9 L" as the only
>> font in the list.  Does that help?
>>
>> Also, I don't see the Nimbus Roman font file (n021003l.ttf) anywhere
>> in the debugging output.  Are you sure it's in C:\Windows\Fonts ?
>>
>> Mike
>>

> As you say it seems only one font at a time can be specified. These
> are the ones I have managed to use by only specifying a single font:
> Times New Roman, Georgia, Euclid, Arial, Vera.
>
> It seems the Nimbus Roman my LaTeX installation uses is from
> utmr8a.pfm and utmr8a.pfb some kind of Type 1 font. I can install the
> pfm file in the system font directory but not the pfb files, anyway
> matplotlib won't use it.
That is correct.  matplotlib can only use ttf files (or the standard 14
Postscript files when outputting Postscript).
> Is there a free ttf version available somewhere or is it possible to
> put the pfm/pfb files it somewhere else and have matplotlib use it?
I believe Nimbus Roman is just a clone of Times that is included with
Ghostscript.

http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/nimbus/

If you have Times or Times New Roman installed, that's probably a
reasonable substitute.

Cheers,
Mike