Tiny case appended.

On my system (OS X), csv2rec() of the first file is fine, csv2rec() of the second fails with the mentioned error; they only differ in newline characters. Inconveniently, the one that fails seems to be Excel's default export.

from matplotlib.mlab import csv2rec
from matplotlib.cbook import to_filehandle

print 'Opening a \\r\\n file (good on my system):'
fh = to_filehandle('triangleplot_demo.csv')
soilrec=csv2rec(fh)
print soilrec.dtype

print 'Opening a \\r file (bad on my system):'
fh = to_filehandle('triangleplot_demo2.csv')
soilrec=csv2rec(fh)
print soilrec.dtype

thanks!