To put in an argument each way -- I now recognize that the PEP one
gets when looking up "universal newline python" has the necessary
info. I saw but did not recognize over the weekend. So one argument is
that there's no good reason to risk breaking old defaults, mostly
users will be able to solve it themselves.

...*but*, on the other hand:
     I've checked that more than one Office 2008 install writes files
csv2rec can't open without the 'U' flag,
     and I'm trying to persuade various colleagues that they can move
from Excel calculations to Python gradually,
     and they aren't going to expect line-ending problems.

So I guess I see a backwards compatibility problem balanced against a
forward evangelizing problem.

&C