On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Gökhan Sever <gokhanse...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> @Article{Hunter:2007,
>>   Author         = {Hunter, J. D.},
>>   Title          = {Matplotlib: A 2D graphics environment},
>>   Journal        = {Computing In Science \& Engineering},
>>   Volume         = {9},
>>   Number         = {3},
>>   Pages          = {90--95},
>>   abstract       = {Matplotlib is a 2D graphics package used for Python
>>                    for application development, interactive scripting, and
>>                    publication-quality image generation across user
>>                    interfaces and operating systems.},
>>   address        = {10662 LOS VAQUEROS CIRCLE, PO BOX 3014, LOS ALAMITOS,
>>                    CA 90720-1314 USA},
>>   bdsk-url-1     =
>>
>> {http://gateway.isiknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;KeyUT=000245668100019},
>>   date-added     = {2010-09-23 12:22:10 -0700},
>>   date-modified  = {2010-09-23 12:22:10 -0700},
>>   isi            = {000245668100019},
>>   isi-recid      = {155389429},
>>   month          = may # "/" # jun,
>>   publisher      = {IEEE COMPUTER SOC},
>>   year           = 2007
>> }
>

> That wos link is useful, however I see only a paper listed following the
> "Time Cited" link in the atmospheric science field. A few papers I have seen
> mentions mpl in acknowledgement section, but some not, though the plots in
> them are obviously produced by mpl.
>
> Should we list some articles here, as a base for a section that would go to
> mpl website?
>
> --
> Gökhan

Short version:
I think this is a good idea.

Long version:
I think a 'Who uses matplotlib?' section in the website would provide
good solid academic backing, too. I know the Met Office
(PHIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and some of the guys in the PECOS group at ICES
use it.

Actual papers is great, but probably rather drab? I think if we want
to show it off, we should include sample images from citations, rather
than just citations. After all, how many people are going to chase a
citation to see sample output when we have a gallery section? Better
still would be to have an 'academic gallery' section. Perhaps this
could be part of the gallery re-work someone was going to do (was it
Tony? I forget).

I don't know. I think the idea is good, but I think there needs to be
some thought and consensus regarding the *best* way to get people to
*visually* judge matplotlib's capabilities in the academic realm.

This is just my two.

--
Damon McDougall
http://www.damon-is-a-geek.com