Damn that was a depressing post...

I know a number of people who still have their 12" LPs but the problem
is not the the space and and prep that keep them from being commonly played
but the degrading of the media as it's played.  Most of the LP collections
my friends have are only going to be played once or twice more, on a
REALLY good system, to be recorded to a digital media.  This will preserve
the music in a playable state, and let them keep good conditioned LP's for
archive and historys sake :-)

ATRAC may not be doomed, and MP3 won't be the final word in audio compression.
ATRAC has changed quite a bit since it's first introduction, but the change
was to improve it to make each version better.  As long as the future hold
decoders to play pre-existing MDs, the MiniDisc could have a great future.
Idealy being able to change the compression techniques based on the type
of recording you're doing.

I can't see the portalbe harddrives taking off too well, since the format
was never designed for portalbe use. Look at the history of portable harddrives
in the computer market.  They are NOT rugged.  This alone is where MD has
a major advantage...

There is a happy medium, but I have a bad feeling it's gonna be a long
time before manufactures recongize that...

-Jeffrey

--
The day MS makes something that doesn't suck
will be the day they start making vacuum cleaners.