> Minidisc manufacturers, not just Sony, should educate
> the world
> about the shortfalls of mp3 and the advantages of MD. Perhaps a
> marketing
> campaign similar to the one used for the Blair Witch Project -
> get someone
> like Foxtel to do a documentary on the newfound-digital-age, and
> what's on
> offer, with a bit of an MD bias. If nothing else, it should
> spark some kind
> of debate, one which MD is certain to win.

Yes - Sony/Sharp/etc need to get in gear and start doing some high-profile,
mainstream advertising. At the moment the only MD adverts I see are in the
audio magazines and the "cool technology" ones like T3. They've done a
couple of TV/cinema ads but they were just terrible (the "your perfect
music for your perfect place" ones) and didn't tell the viewer anything.

They need to show ordinary people that this is a high-quality, easy to
edit, portable music format that does everything they've been doing for
years on cassette, but with a load of cool new stuff. Point out the flaws
in tape and consumer CDR. Emphasise that you can record from *any* source.

At the moment, pretty much all the general awareness is coming from people
like us showing friends our MD stuff, and explaining how good it is. We
can't tell everyone - that's what advertising's for :)

--
Simon