With the "digital" age we're now in (and how many companies are cashing in
on the word digital at the moment!?), compression is the new flavour of the
month.
What with MP3 compression, and DVD, I don't believe the atrac idea will fall
behind - it doesn't have the sucky sound quality that mp3 is actually
renouned for. A surprising number of people that i talk to, at school and
out and about, whilst they think that mp3's are pretty nifty, almost
everyone agrees that the sound quality leaves a bit to be desired. Those
that don't seem to think that by selecting the option that says (supposedly)
'better than CD quality' on their mp3 encoder they are getting high quality
mp3's that are better than music on the original CD.
My point is - the intelligent majority of the modern world that would be in
the market for some form of sexy portable editable audio would choose MD
over mp3, or MD to use with mp3 - without hesitation - IF they were well
informed. Minidisc manufacturers, not just Sony, should educate the world
about the shortfalls of mp3 and the advantages of MD. Perhaps a marketing
campaign similar to the one used for the Blair Witch Project - get someone
like Foxtel to do a documentary on the newfound-digital-age, and what's on
offer, with a bit of an MD bias. If nothing else, it should spark some kind
of debate, one which MD is certain to win.

The trick is getting it to the level of a debate between the formats, even
if they can be used together, because at the moment, the world is
*relatively* unaware of MD, and mp3 is the only option out there.

an aussie $0.02,
nick