[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> besides which there are those (and from what i've seen, they have a pretty
> solid case - my main sources are AudioTechnology Magazine in Australia) who
> believe that 44.1kHz, 16bit audio leaves a lot to be desired - the current
> top CONSUMER audio is 24 bit 96kHz (this is the DVD Audio format).

1) they believe...
2) It's a magazine. Magazine's have sponsors. DVD want's to take off, so they
   sponsor these kind of articles.
   Yes, 24 bit 96kHz is betterthen 44.1kHz, 16 bits. But I don't believe there's
   a big change in sound. That would require:
    a) a very good DA converter
    b) a very good amplifier
    c) a pair of very good speakers
    d) a sound-proof room
    e) a pair of excellent ears.
   I think most of us on this list have neither of them. 2000 people on the
list,
   from all over the world makes a pretty good statistic base. Face it, the
   average consumer won't here the difference!

> Rupert Neve (if you have to ask who that is, don't bother responding to this
> email), aside from swearing that the best analogue will always sound better,
> feel better an generally be better than any analogue, says that he feels
> digital will be of an acceptable quality when it is 24bit 192kHz (kinda
> leaves MDs for dead, huh?).  This is because of high frequency dynamics,
> which affect the sound colour.  It is because of this that much of his gear
> has enormous frequency responses.  This makes MD look even worse than CD/DAT
> in this respect, for the ATRAC coding actually trims the frequency response
> to compress the audio more easily.

ATRAC compresses by not storing unhearable frequencies. It doesn't leave those
frequencies out of the signal in order to better compress the signal...
(ATRAC uses a fixed data rate. Therefore it's not possible to just compress the
 raw sampled data. ATRAC uses a DFFT (Discrete Fast Fourier Transformation, ie,
 a FFT in the digital domain), analyses the abtained list with frequencies and
 asigns bits to some frequencies and nothing to others.)

> Don't get me wrong, i think that MD technology is great - i have been saving
> for ages to buy a unit and have my heart set on the 831 - but it has its
> limitations, it is not really appropriate for high end pro use, and i would
> imagine that diehard audiophiles would probably prefer to use higher end
> stuff also.

Hmm, I sort of agree. MD has limitations but also inovations:
  1) CD have a very bad error-correction scheme (based on guessing...). A badly
     burned CD will sound much wors than a MD. (CD-Roms have an improved correc-
     tion schema, which explains why they only contain 640MB instead of 700MB!)
  2) Editable!!!!!!

> Christopher Spalding
> Genius, generally excellent and gifted person.

I hope this is a joke.... If not, you're really sad..

Cheers,
Ralph -> gennerally not excellent and ungifted person......

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE