From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf
Of J. Coon
Sent:   Tuesday, 5 October 1999 13:43
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        MD: DC surges, a warning

Yesterday I cleaned the battery posts for my car.  Took each one off and
wire brushed inside the clamp and the battery post itself.  I
reconnected the battery and everything seemed ok.  That is until I went
to set the alarm.  It doesn't work any more and it is getting power.
Apparently, removing the battery post and reconnecting it caused a
voltage spike that was large enough to wipe out the alarm system.  When
I was working on it I could hear a relay click, probably from the fuel
pump. So, making and breaking the DC supply caused a spike from the
collapsing magnetic field around the relay core.