Tony Antoniou wrote:

> What I have seen happen is people working on vehicles with the positive lead
> still connected, and the car is then grounded from something that's
> uninsulated, primarily electric tools that are earthed.

Anything that happened as a result of using grounded electric tools on
the car would have occured regardless of which battery terminal was
off.  Are you convinced that having the negative terminal connected
would have avoided this ECU fry up?  I don't think so.

> This continues to
> provide some sort of path for equipment that still carries a charge, namely
> starter motors.

How and where do starter motors carry a charge?

> Theory is one thing, practice is another. Experience has shown me that 3#-)

The absolute simplicity of a battery connected to an electrical load
(the car's electrical system) follows the thoery precisely.  Break the
circuit anywhere and no more current flows, period.

As an example, if you removed the battery from the car completely, and
then connected a large wire from the negative terminal of the battery to
the car body, would that afford any sort of electrical protection to the
sensitive electronics in the car?  Answer: No.  How can it?  And is that
situation any different than having the battery mounted in the car with
it's negative terminal connected?  If so, in what way?

Are you trying to make good of your original statement to save face,
because if you are you're only digging a deeper hole. Give up.

-cb