Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

> If any of the three
> lasers in the Sony mechanism become incorrectly focused, the whole thing
> fails.

If the front laser becomes mis-focused the head assembly moves vertically keeping
the main read head a fixed distance from the CD at all times. The three laser
system also allows slight horizontal movement to keep the read head focused in
the center of the track.

> A bonus side effect, the Philips mechanism is more resistant to skipping
> than Sony's.

So why if I have a scratched CD that wont play in my Marantz unit (Phillips
mechanism) do I have to put it in the Sony (Sony mechanism) to play it without it
skipping?

And why did the Phillips guy on Open University sit and explain at length how the
tri-spot laser system worked, if in fact their system only uses one laser?
According to what he was saying, one laser alone would be useless because it
would not be able to compensate for slight variations in the CD. 99% of the time
a CD is never in the absolute dead-centre of the center spindle anyway, so
without a tri-spot system it wouldn't play because the laser would keep missing
the centre of the track and would be unable to read a continuous data stream..

--
Magic

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A book judged by it's cover makes for a very shallow read."