In message , Stainless Steel Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>* "Sciamano Nerazzurro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Mon, 11 Oct 1999
>| Luca
>| -> I've had bad experiences with Philips CD-Writers
>
>You had a faulty individual unit.  Philips CD mechanisms are generally
>better than Sony's.  They are mechanically simpler -- one laser instead of
>the three in Sony mechanisms -- which makes them as a whole that much more
>reliable.

But not for reading CDs'.  For broadcast work you preferably go for
three laser readers as if they are slightly askew, low reflectivity,
etc. they will still read, whereas single lasers have to be spot on, and
with a very good reflection from the CD.  I don't think that there are
any broadcast quality players that have single lasers these days.  I
thought that all, but the very cheapest, CD players had three lasers
these days.

>I am guessing that your "bad experience" is with a particular model of HP
>CD writer.  The problems there were not the CD mechanisms, which happened
>to be Philips mechanisms.  HP underdesigned the cabinetry, which allowed
>the CD mechanism to overheat.  When that happens the mechanism destroy
>itself.  The fault was HP's, not Philips's.

Where was it overheating?  From the spinning of the CD, the motor, or
the electronics?
--
Geoff