Stainless Steel Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You had a faulty individual unit.  Philips CD mechanisms are generally
> better than Sony's.  They are mechanically simpler -- one laser instead of
> the three in Sony mechanisms -- which makes them as a whole that much more
> reliable.
>
> I am guessing that your "bad experience" is with a particular model of HP
> CD writer.  The problems there were not the CD mechanisms, which happened
> to be Philips mechanisms.  HP underdesigned the cabinetry, which allowed
> the CD mechanism to overheat.  When that happens the mechanism destroy
> itself.  The fault was HP's, not Philips's.

The problem is that my burner (HP7200i) will work OK (well, most of the
times) if I use CD-RW media, but will *regularly* freeze while burning
CDR's...
The red light turns off, while the green one keeps flashing, the burning
software freezes, and so does the computer itself.
Do you know if these are the symptoms of what you say is the HP-related
problem?
I ask because I still have not found anyone who could help me, so sorry if
this is off topic, but any help would be appreciated.

Luca
-> if it's HP's fault, I'm not gonna spend a dime to repair my burner!