Gaz,
     I can tell you right now.  It is NOT the dos mode drivers.  I know it.
The SB emu drivers are ONLY for dos, nothing else.  Everything else accesses
the card directly, not through the emu drivers.  The problem with dos games
is they cannot directly access the pci bus with PCI sound cards.  So an emu
driver needs to be created, since SB16 IS THE STANDARD in drivers for old
dos stuff, that is the one they program it after.  Your program will not
access these drivers, it doesn't even get close.  It accesses probably
DirectSound (the sound part of DirectX).  Thus it does not touch the compat
emu drivers...trust me on this one.  I have had many different PCI cards.
It used to be older cards such as the original Monster Sound wich was the
FIRST PCI sound card, had REALLY sucky dos emu drivers, and it would hardly
ever work.  BUT, it would work BEAUTIFULLY in windows.

     I just thought of another thing.  What version of DirectX do you have?
If you are using new drivers, they can be optimized for DirectX7, and not an
older version.  Download version7 if you do not have it...its 6.8 or so
megs.

     Its all about system hardware compatibility with software.  I have seen
hardware that hated with things close to it.  I had to play card shuffel for
6 days with my current setup, and I FINALLY got it working.  In the 7 years
I have been doing hardware stuff, I have found computers to be more
baffeling than even women :).

     Again, that emu driver is ONLY for dos programs.  If you are running
ANY window based program, it will NOT require it.  It will either directly
address the soundcard.  OR it will use the DirectX system calls.  I love
programming stuff these days, I dont have to write sound card drivers for
games, all I have to write are directx calls.  I write small programs for my
portfolio.  I may only be 21, but I am WAY ahead of the game.
     There is in fact the Athlon 700 out now, it can be had for around 690
bux.  VERY hard to find, but that didn't stop me from finding one, if I
wanted it that is.  The 800 will be out in Jan or so according to my friend.
1ghz+ will be out before second quarter 2000 :).  Some nice stuff comming
out.  Intel has pushed up its new processor, the "whilhemitte" (I cant
remember exact spelling), which is a TOTALLY new core (not P6 3 year old
core which P2,3 is based on).  That will hit 1.1ghz also by second Q 2000.
AMD put the screws to intel, and intel responded by upping the date of the
next gen processor by 8 months :).

Shawn