> From: Shawn M. Pierce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>       The reason why you get stuttering sound can be for a few reasons.
> First, the CPU can be busy because of hard drive activity.  When you run an
> IDE hdd at full choke, newer ones take up to 40% of the CPU power, older
> ones take up even more, upwards of 70%.  Add into that CD-roms, and such,
> and you get MANY problems.  Thats why I use Scsi stuff, a 40x IDE cd-rom
> utilizes upwards to 40% CD power, whereas my Plextor 40x UltraScsi uses
> around 3%.

Well there is no HDD activity when I'm running the prog (ZX32 - a Spectrum
Emulator).  But the sound stutters-- I'll dig out that ReBirth RB-338 to check
it's minimum refresh time.  After sleeping on the card, not literally, I'm now
convinced its the Creative SB16 emulation driver thingy you find in System
-> Creative... area of Control Panel thats the prob.  Its not a direct access
DirectX device.

> ***************The CPU has to send so much data to the graphics card, that
> it has no time to get data to the sound card, hence the
> stuttering*************.

But if the same prog ran fine with an old SB16, even a P75 CPU as against
my current K6-3/400 at full framerate, why should it fail now other than the
above reason.  I can guarantee the Spectrum emu I run needs a DirectX direct
link.  I tried playing Doom in DOS mode and it worked like a dream.  Thats
simultaneous MIDI music and sampled sounds thro' the SB16 emulation.

>    If you look at benchmarks, Framerates scale to the power of the CPU up to
> a point.  That point is the polygon or triangle output of a video card, a
> CPU finally is powerfull enough to send enough data to overwhelm a video
> card...BUT it does not start stuttering it only tops out at frame rates.  I
> would say the GEForce256 will top out with a K7-800 or so.

Errm, is anything faster than an Athlon 600 available?  I assume thats the chip
you mean by a K7, yeah Shawn?

> PS.  Who the hell has a 32k video card?  Considering vid cards have upwards
> of 64 megs of ram now.  What fills that much ram?  Not windows or winamp
> decoding!?!

Peeps with 15yr old PCs, where the video memory is in the B000-B7FF region?
In other words machines that would be worth more selling to the local museum
than a second hand store :-)