Why is it that I have the idea that a DVD based sollution is going to fail?

Is it because it's to big. People WILL compare the size of a DVD based camcorder
to the size of a miniDV/D8/MDVideo based camcorder.

Or is it because all major camcorder manufacturers are supporting miniDV?

D8 is an attempt of Sony to give the current Hi8 user a path to upgrade. D8
plays
(Hi)8 tapes and records MPEG2 on a Hi8 tape. Since D8 is less expensive than
miniDV,
and since Hi8 tapes are less expensive than miniDV and since D8 the camcorders
are
less expensive than miniDV camcorders, their might be a big chance that it's
going
to succeed. It could also become the DCC of the camcorders...

MD-Data2 or as I call it, MDVideo, will be an alternative to the bulky DVD based
camcorders. It's difficult to say if it is going to be a succes.

Personaly I bet on miniDV. Mainly because it's already a standard.

Cheers,
Ralph

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am also beginning to wonder if Sony's marketing/design experts are losing
> the plot.
> I agree that a 1394 connection should be a basic inclusion for digital
> video....
> When you look at the other video formats recently released by Sony,
> including Digital8 and some other weird hi8 sealed cassette (that maybe
> never got out of Japan) and 'Memory Stick' (expensive and physically
> non-compatible, when the world already has cheap CF & smart media devices)
> you begin to wonder why they saturate the market with various
> non-compatible formats...
> At least Hitachi seem to be working on disc based cams with full DVD
> compatibility - that's the way to go IMHO....
> GB

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE