Hi Ralph,

> Why is it that I have the idea that a DVD based sollution is going to
fail?

> Is it because it's to big. People WILL compare the size of a DVD based
camcorder
> to the size of a miniDV/D8/MDVideo based camcorder.

Maybe - but why not develop a smaller DVD disc that would hold (say) an
hour of DV quality and would be about the same size as MD - and would play
back instantly in any DVD player with an adaptor (or maybe with no
adaptor?)

> Or is it because all major camcorder manufacturers are supporting miniDV?

Yes, but as soon as disc based video becomes a reality, just watch the tape
formats die.....

Check this out.
http://www.pioneer.co.jp/press/release63.html

> D8 is an attempt of Sony to give the current Hi8 user a path to upgrade.
D8
> plays
> (Hi)8 tapes and records MPEG2 on a Hi8 tape. Since D8 is less expensive
than
> miniDV,
> and since Hi8 tapes are less expensive than miniDV and since D8 the
camcorders
> are
> less expensive than miniDV camcorders, their might be a big chance that
it's
> going
> to succeed. It could also become the DCC of the camcorders...

I hope it dies a death - it would be just desserts to Sony for being such
pillocks in delaying Digital8 until a lot of us got sucked into DV
Digital8 should have been released first, before DV, then all of us Hi8
users would have supported it - the quality is in theory exactly the same
as DV, but smart (?) Sony marketing have deliberatly kept the optics
quality lower than DV and deliberatly delayed D8 to allow (expensive, non
backward compatible) DV to take the market

I hope more than anything that Sony gets badly burnt with Digital8 and
maybe with MD discam if they insist on developing non-standard formats....

GB