At 09:59 AM 11/30/99 +0100, RS wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Funnily enough, just as audio MDs are sawn-off CD-RWs, MD-Data2 discs are
>> sawn of DVD-RWs.
>
>Ahh....
>
>Than I must have been wrong.... I always thoughed MD used MO technology and
>that CD-RW used some sort of other technology that doesn't require a
>magnetic field during writing.....

<mumbles>Smart ass... Tosser..<mumbles>

Look Ralph, it was a throw away line, but if you insist, CD-RW is, from
what I have read, a magneto-optical format from the Orange Book (CD) standard:

Orange Book Standard

-   Announced in 1990 to address the new recordable optical media and
    provide specifications for incremental writes.
-   Divided into 2 parts, Compact Disc-Magneto Optical (CD-MO) and
-   Compact Disc-Write Once (CD-WO)
-   Covers Multi-session discs, such as the Kodak Photo CD.

Now, because I don't use rewritable CD media, and have no practical
experience with CD-RW, I have always assumed that CD-MO was CD-RW. Please
tell me if I am wrong, but I do ask that you adopt a much less
condescending and patronising tone in future.

All the documentation I have read on MiniDisc media seems to indicate that
it is heavily based on the CD standards. After all, why reinvent the wheel.
Hence my statement that MD1 is sawn-off (i.e. a smaller) CD-RW (meaning
CD-MO from Orange Book).

>Seriously, you can't compare MDs with CD-RWs since the underlying technology
>is completly different.

If you say so, Ralph. I certainly agree there is more than one way to
implement a rewritable CD. But I had always assumed CD-RW was magneto-optical.

>MD-Data2 is a 'high-density' MD-Data disc. It's an
>evolution. DVD is however a evolution of CD (make CD double-sided, double
>layered and increase the density).

Oh, and MDData2 just happened along coincidentally at the same time as we
figured out how to pack more onto an optical disc. To say the two are not
related is farce. I'd be willing to bet that the MD2 specs bear striking
resemblance to DVD specs, just as the MD1 specs bear striking resemblance
to Orange Book (CD) specs.

>I suppose that DVD-RAM is based on the same principles as CD-RW.

No, clearly not. Every single format is completely different and
constructed in a vacuum from scratch. I bow to your superior intellect, Mr
Smeets.

--
Archer
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6413/