Not to beat this subject to death, but I am a musiclogist and collect
the Joel Whitburn Billboard chart books, etc. Here's basically what I do
to somehow get an MD to fit all my titles in the 1700 or so available
characters per disc.

Important Title (Very Popular Hit Record) Example:

GENIE IN A BOTTLE (Eddie Arroyo Radio Club Mix) / CHRISTINA AGUILERA
July 1999 Billboard No. 1 (5 weeks) LP:"Christina Aguilera" BPM:125
August 1999 Billboard Hot 100 Airplay No. 1 (4 weeks)

SMOOTH (Edit) / SANTANA FEATURING ROB THOMAS October 1999 Billboard No.
1 (9 weeks) LP:"Supernatural" BPM:58 November 1999 Billboard Hot 100
Airplay No. 1 (4 weeks)

Because both airplay Hot 100 and Hot 100 positons are equal, airplay Hot
100 positions are listed behind the LP name, movie title, BPM or
whatever other information is appropriate. If the Hot 100 Airplay
position is higher than the Hot 100 position, both are listed before the
LP name, etc.

Important Title (Moderate Hit Record)

L.A. SONG (Alternate Radio Edit) / BETH HART December 1999 Billboard No.
98 LP:"Screamin' For My Supper" BPM:65

N 2 GETHER NOW (Clean Version) / LIMP BIZKIT FEATURING METHOD MAN
December 1999 Billboard No. 85 track from "Significant Other") BPM:103

Less Important Title (Running out of space, song less popular)

BIG DEAL / LeANN RIMES December 1999 Billboard No. 26 BPM:77

THE GREATEST ROMANCE EVER SOLD / (THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS) PRINCE
November 1999 Bilboard No. 63 BPM:91

Unimportant Title (Relatively unknown song or song with no significance
(i.e., sucks or is something very forgettable except for maybe a couple
of weeks when it is new. Of course, if I have space, I'll do full titles
on these as well. But usually there's no space.)

I COULD NEVER TAKE THE PLACE OF YOUR MAN / JORDAN KNIGHT (who cares when
it was recorded, what album it's from or what the BPM is.)

325A12

HitDisc week 325, Disc A, Track 12 ("Cathedrals" by Jump, Little
Children)

Of course, when titling some 50's and 60's stuff sacrifices have to made
because of the shortness of some of the songs. Sometimes one of these
discs will contain 30 songs, compared to an average of 17 to 18 for any
normal modern format and 12 to 14 for extended dance track discs)