"PrinceGaz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Thats true Ralph but what MD definitely does *not* need is
>peeps being introduced to units like the Sharp 701/702
>which will go pants due to utoc errors in 12 months time.

Well in slight defense of the 702, I've had mine for 21 months.  I bought
it in Japan through Nic Boyde and have had GREAT success with it.  A close
friend bought a 702 in the United States of America via Minidiscnow and
AFTER he finally received the machine, has had great success. I've
personally recommended the 702 to two(2) other friends and both of those
have had great success.

I don't like to generalize the reported UTOC error as something which
occurs on every unit.  It clearly is not a problem on all units.

>Add to that the allegedly buggy Sharp ATRAC coding prob
>(even in the latest units)

That only seems to appear when recording a certain note frequency
combination on a solo french horn.   I attend and archive classical brass
concerts on a regular basis, and have yet to hear this artifact even when
a solo french horn is performing.

Again the problem that happens in very specific recording situations and
those are very, VERY rare.

>and the little extra you pay for Sony
>stuff begins to make sense.  C'mon guys-- Sony can throw
>many times the budget and staff at improving and checking
>their ATRAC algorithm than Sharp.

For my need to have a method of real time recording level changes and the
Sharps ability to copy the names from one MD to another, for my needs the
Sharp is a superior machine.  Also the Sharps headphone/amp output is
higher than my Sony MZ-E40 player.   This is needed when I patch into a
mixer at a radio station I volunteer at.  The Sony MZ-E40 isn't a good
fit.

I'm trying to level the playing field a bit.  Sharp 702 units are not
garbage.   The technology still amazes me and friends when I show off the
unit.

Jerry
Jerry Jelinek at work via OS/2        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

FOR SALE: Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica.  45 volumes.
Excellent  condition. $1,000.00 or best offer.  No longer needed.
Got married last weekend. Wife knows everything.