Ray West wrote,

| CD's which I own state that 'unauthorized copying, hiring, lending, public
| performance and broadcasting of this performance is prohibited'.

But that's merely legalese that changes the semantics of the argument from
asking "What is prohibited?" to "What is unauthorized?"  It doesn't lead us
any closer to -- nor farther from -- an answer.  It is only a reminder that
owners and users of the copy are expected to comply with applicable laws
without supplying any details about those laws.

It's rather like being told not to drive over the speed limit without any in-
formation about what the limit is; you know that the faster you go the more
likely you are to be disobeying it but you have to look somewhere else to
learn where the line lies between compliance and violation.