I should add that copying a CD to an MD is legal as long as you aren't
copying it for comercial purposes.  I think trading MDs falls under
that.  Now if you copy the MD and sell it to make money, that would be a
sick bird, an ill eagle (illegal).  But if you trade it for another MD
and you don't open up a store for trading MD and charge two MDs for one
MD of yours....or sell them outright to the public, it seems as that is
legal.  At least that is how I read the Home Recording Rights Act.  The
other info that someone else gave regarding copyright, is for printed
material  IMHO.  However, you can't copy a CD, TV, radio, MP3, whatever,
and post a copy of it on your website, play it in your store, bar, etc.
for all the world to hear without paying for the copyright or getting
permission to do it.  The recording has to be for your own use and not a
public one.  Now, if a DJ makes a copy and plays it at a dance,
presumably the establishment he is working, has paid dues to one of the
copyright clearing houses, like ASCAP, or the Hary Fox Agency, so the
artrist is compensated.  I have no idea how the artist gets the right
amount of  money though.

http://www.ascap.com/ascap.html
http://www.nmpa.org/hfa.html

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.