I've been watching this discussion for the time it's been going on and i
have to interject for just a few if i may.  I agree that MP3 distribution is
affecting MD but in both a good and a bad way.  First off if you look at the
cost of solid state memory for use in devices such as the rio etc... it's
freggin outragous.  Not to count out MP3, i listen to them to see if i like
the songs, if i do, i buy the cd and copy it to MD :)  One place that is
doing a great job at promoting the union of MP3 with MD is that of
minidisco, i give them a huge amount of credit especially selling the
xitel/sharp combo for people who have a lot of mp3's that want a good medium
to put them on when they travel.  Next MD will have a place IMO for quite
some time especially in the lower to middle end editing equipment for
"local" bands etc... look at the price difference between a 4 or 8 track MD
unit compared to a high end studio piece.  it's great for bands to use.  the
recording on the portable unit's is also amazing, Sony and the rest have
done a great job with ATRAC, and for live performances there is only really
2 viable options right now MD and DAT, and IMO DAT is in a lot worse shape
than MD is.  anyway that's my 2 cents worth.

Later
Matt