Hello:

Lynch, Jason JD wrote:

> Yowdy,
>
> The other night i recorded my first live gig on my MD. The sound guy wouldn't let me
>plug into the desk, even though the band requested it. Luckily i took along my mic.
>It was given to me as a gift by minidiscweb, due to the fact that i' requested a blue
>unit but they only had white. The mic ain't that great; it's a Aiwa Stereo condenser
>microphone CM-TS22 (marked as a business/live recording microphone).
> Anyway the recording is pretty good but quite distorted. It was a pretty loud PA, in
>a smallish bar. It doesn't sound to me like digital distortion (i had my R91 on auto
>rec. level setting),

We don't recommend using the auto gain in loud, dynamic situations. This was probably
not the source of the distortion, however.

> so i'm guessing it would be the mic that was clipping. On playback however, the
>signal sits pretty well on full (i'm guessing the wave form has pretty straight edges
>due to the clipping?).

Right. It could also be caused by "brick walling" the mic input, where the signal
coming into the mic input is so high that it is completely distorted. No adjustment of
the recording level (automatically or manually) will fix this problem.

> I was going to buy a Soundprofessional AT 853 mic soon. I've heard this is a great
>sounding mic, but would this also be the solution to the clipping problem?

If you combine it with a battery module and use the line input, yes.

> Also, is this one of the best for recording loud indoor (and outdoor) gigs?

I think I'll let others in the MD community express their opinions on this to keep it
unbiased....:-)

> Cheers,
> Jason
>
> EOM
>
> NOTICE - This message contains information intended only for the use of the
>addressee named above.  It may also be confidential and/or privileged.  If you are
>not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that you must not
>disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it.  If you have received this
>message in error please notify [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Best regards,

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals
1-800-213-3021