~Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> /|\/|\ Right. It could also be caused by "brick walling" the mic input, where
> the signal coming into the mic input is so high that it is completely
> distorted. No adjustment of the recording level (automatically or manually)
> will fix this problem. /|\/|\
>
>   Ah, so this is what was happening when I recorded a concert a few months
> ago. It was my first attempt at recording in a very noisy venue, and the bass
> was overwhelming!
>
>   So would I do to fix this problem on future recordings? I'm pretty much
> still new to the world of live MD recordings, so I really don't know what I
> could do to fix this problem... I would prefer to keep my binaural mics
> instead of buying different ones, if that's even possible...

If you're hearing mic pre-amp overload distortion (also known as
"brickwalling") there are two solutions: reduce the level coming out of
the microphones using an attenuator cable, or feed a lower gain input
like the line level input.

If your mic needs the recorder to provide a voltage, you're out of luck
with both solutions as the attenuator cable will affect the voltage and
the line level input doesn't provide a voltage.

In that case, the solution is to use an external power supply for your
mics (a "battery box").  Then use the attenuator cable or the line
input.

Hope this helps!

Len Moskowitz             Stealth Microphones (tm), Cables, Interfaces
Core Sound                http://www.stealthmicrophones.com
Teaneck, New Jersey       http://www.core-sound.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912