I haven't tried labeling the spine yet...too small.  I
considered using colored discs to keep track of what
type of music was on the disc, but decided it would be
too cumbersome.

What I do is print a label using a Word Processor and
an Avery label sheet.  I put the disc title on
it...rarely anything more...I might list the
performers if it is a Broadway show, or a small jazz
group (e.g. one of the many incarnations of Art
Blakey's Jazz Messengers).  In printing, I color code
the label.  I print the labels for jazz discs in blue,
Christmas music is green, Classical music is black,
rock is brown.

I don't label the outer case because I rarely get the
discs back in the case from which they originally
came.  Trying to do that would be too stressful for
me.

Anyway, I hope that this suggestion helps.  It's much
easier than using coloured discs.

James