Speaking as an avid mono MD listener, I'm rather suprised that you're
getting a headache 1. so quickly, and 2. at all...

I spend about 2-3 hours a day listening to MD in mono, though it is
spoken word not music, that may or not make the difference.  What are
you (or your gf) listening to that's causing the headache?
Just curious, but would it be techno? with a really high bbm?
and fairly low base?

the binaural circuit that I think you're half expecting the headache from
can't be produced in in mono like you're thinking.  A binaural beat will
have one tone in one ear (say left) and another tone maybe 1-5 hz off
from that other tone in the other ear (right).  While you can't hear
a 5hz tone, your brain can reconstruct it from the difference by hearing
an 80hz, and an 85hz tone in each ear simultaneously.  This is fairly
common practice with mind machines, used for meditation, relaxation,
entrainment, etc. Along those same lines, the same beat pulsing
at the right tempo and sound can have a similar effect of altering
brain states, though not usually as effective (results vary from person
to person, much like drug interaction)

To get rid  of the headaches, I'd try a few simple things.
1. vary the kind of music you're listening to
2. lower the volume
3. looser fitting headphones
4. any combination of the above
5. all of the above
6. silence

hope this helps

-Jeffrey

--
The day MS makes something that doesn't suck
will be the day they start making vacuum cleaners.