Peter,

Jeffrey and Gaz -- and Jim and Zach -- have pretty much said it all.

Are you listening through headphones that block out all exterior sound?  As
Gaz said, that would give an unnatural feeling of motion sickness when you
move your head and the relative position from the perceived source of the
sound doesn't change.  Think how it would feel if you moved your head and
everything you were looking at moved with you instead of letting you get a
new visual angle on the surroundings.

I know that mono can be very annoying through headphones after a few minutes,
and that listening through speakers doesn't cause the effect at all.  When I
make compilations I try to avoid putting three, or if possible not even two,
monaural selections in succession: unfortunately a lot of the music I like
was put out only in mono or has been reissued only in mono.

Try an experiment: listen to the mono recordings through stationary speakers
or through loose-fitting headphones that allow ambient sound to reach your
ears.  Keep the volume low.  See if you get headaches.  I should think not,
because it would be much like listening to a single-speaker device, like a
tabletop radio or a monaural television set.

BTW, the final call is up to Nick, but I don't consider this thread off-
topic at all.