Umm... how does this contradict anything that I said?

* Francisco Jose Montilla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Thu, 16 Mar 2000
|       I disagree, the original point was to be able to transfer to MD at
| several times normal speed.

Is the 10 times normal playback speed throughput capacity of USB 1.1 not
"several times normal speed"?

| If you have to "record" at higher speeds, the servos and laser need to
| have greater accuracy, and as somebody from Aiwa mentioned, increase a
| lot the price.

Your point being?

| Not to mention if it has to encode data additionally...

An MD recorder's ATRAC circuit converts 16-bit linear PCM to ATRAC already,
by definition.  Moving the ATRAC encoding out of the recorder seems stupid
to me.  The only "extra" encoding that the host and USB device need to do
is wrapping PCM packets inside USB packets in a fashion similar to SCSI
over USB, which is computationally trivial.

|       I guess the most viable way will be a special data unit, that has
| only to write already encoded data to the MD with no or little encoding.

Huh?  This makes no sense to me.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ children under 10 should avoid prolonged