> Which brings me back around to the original point that implementing real
> time ATRAC in software on today's desktop is not going to happen.

Well, I think that there's a small qualifier here.  I've been watching this
thread for a long time now, keeping my trap shut.  What it comes down to is
that while ATRAC *could* be implemented in realtime (if not now, then in the
near future), but that the complexity of the algorithm makes it a stupid
decision.  It'd be cheaper to just make a small ATRAC board that carries
the $5 ASIC on-board, or some other embedded solution.

It's the same argument as any other form of emulation -- sure, you *can*
run your Playstation games on a computer with Bleem or such, but will that
make people stop buying Playstations?  No.  The hardware inside a Playstation
is designed for a small niche, and ATRAC chips are the same way.  It's does
only one thing, but it's very, very good at it.  A general-purpose computer
is better utilized for more generalized tasks.

My US$0.02,

/Andrew