I've noticed HMV.com selling some of their selection MiniDisc format,
which leads to an interesting question (either that or it just shows that
I don't RTFM enough).  If I have an MD deck with a digital out and try
record to my MZ-R50, I know I can't record digitally from an MD that is a
copy of a CD.  Can I record from a store-bought MD to a blank MD without
SCMS getting in my way?  Will there be a significant amount of
degradation?

What I mean by degradation is...  To record from CD -> MD, I know that it
takes uncompressed data from the CD, sends it to the down the wire in
digital form, then the recorder compresses it with ATRAC, and stores it.
To record from MD -> MD, it uncompresses the ATRAC, sends it down the wire
in digital form, then recompresses it when it hits the recorder.  I know
that this would cause degradation, but does anyone know if this would
cause unacceptable degradation in the sound quality?  Is it something that
someone would even notice?

Thanks!
-- Dave Kimmel
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]