> My rule of thumb is that when dubbing betweem different machines, the best
> machine should be playing, because that creates the best source for
> recording.  Anyone? - Is this right?  Or doesn't it matter?

>From what I've read in various faqs and info pages, here's what I
figure...

ATRAC was designed so that something recorded with a newer version would
still sound good on an old one.  So, if you play an ATRAC 4.5 disc on an
ATRAC 3 player, it is almost as good as ATRAC 4.5.  But if you play an
ATRAC 3 disc on an ATRAC 4.5 player, it's only as good as ATRAC
3.  Whether that's really a noticible difference, who knows?

So, I'd play back on the "worse" of the two players, and record on the
"better" one.

Any other thoughts?
-- Dave Kimmel
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]