If you read the MDCP FAQ... I think degradation, especially on modern
equipments, don't start occuring until at least the 5th generation. I've
done cassette-->MD-->MD (all analog connections), and the last generation
sounds fine. Just 1-2 generations between copies should go unnoticed even
with analog connections.

If I understand SCMS correctly, prerecorded MD --> optical cable --> blank
MD should be all right. First generation,

Norio Ohga, the (ex) Sony President who pushed for MD's creation, said
openly in publications that MD has sound degradations for political reasons
(or CD-R/RW music would've come out much earlier). But in your situation, it
should be almost indistinguishable.

Leon