Richard Lang wrote,

| Now while we're on the subject of MD to MD dubbing, if you have two decks
| with difference ATRAC, say one with ATRAC 4.5 and one with ATRAC R (or ATRAC
| 3 vs ATRAC 4.5), is there any consenus as to which should be recording and
| which should be playing?

There is virtually, perhaps literally, no difference among decoding algo-
rithms: ATRAC versions differ wholly or almost wholly in their encoding.
Therefore you'll want to record with the better ATRAC implementation.

| My understanding is that even with digital connections, the music still gets
| compressed on it's way "out" of the playing deck and compressed on it's way
| "in" to the recording deck.  With analogue you are also dealing with A D/A
| converter and an A/D converter.

It is decompressed on its way out and recompressed on its way in: the signal
between the two machines is regular audio (analog or S/PDIF).  The loss of
data occurs during the compression stage.

| My rule of thumb is that when dubbing betweem different machines, the best
| machine should be playing, because that creates the best source for
| recording.  Anyone? - Is this right?  Or doesn't it matter?

No, it's wrong, as Dave Kimmel has said: the better ATRAC version should be
used for recording, the poorer one for playback.