> I didn't realize you were recording digitally, using an optical cable.
> What is your digital source?  A tape deck with optical out?

At the moment I've tried only with the optical SPDIF output of my SB Live
Platinum Live Drive II . (It's the only optical SPDIF gear I have). The
input to the soundcard is SPDIF from my CD-ROM. I play an audio CD, and it
sounds fine on preview, but cack on reply

> I have experienced this noise exactly as you have, when trying to record
> digitally from my laptop.  It sounds fine when the MT831 is paused in
> recording preview mode, but the actual recording on minidisc has noise
> which sounds like its dropping LSBs, or the sample words are
> missaligned.

Yikes! Sample words are missaligned?  I personally know exactly what that
sounds like -  total freakshow noise. I would be very very surprised if
that's what it actually was in your case. But I'm inclined to believe it
because you say

> Recording in analog mode
> sounds fine, which makes me think its not the ATRAC compression, but
> something with the digital input --> ATRAC path.

So I would *immediately* suspect the optical SPDIF output of your laptop.
My soundcard for example only outputs at 48KHz optical - fortunately my
MD-MT831 can convert from this to 44.1KHz.  If your laptop outputs at 48KHz
(or any sample rate other than 44.1KHz) and if your MiniDisc recorder does
NOT incorporate a sample-rate converter in the digital input path, then that
would be the cause of such a problem.
But since you say you have also an 831 then possibly the optical output from
your laptop is just screwy in some way. What is the source of the output (is
it your soundcard, or an add-on board, or optical output direct from the
CD-Rom?) Sorry, I don't know anything about copy-protection in SPDIF so I
can't say whether that's a problem or not. (I didn't actually know audio
SPDIF streams had copy-protection measures!)

Back to my problem, which is more subtle:
1.  I hear it when recording digitally AND when recording analogue. (So that
rules out the non-standard 48KHz recording source as being a problem)
2.  When I record-preview (so I'm listening to the original source) it
sounds FINE but when I playback what I've just recorded it sounds noticeably
different
3.  The actual form of the difference is a warbling in the high frequencies
(which I have also noticed on another Sharp player - I can't remember the
model number - perhaps 7--something) a kind of fluttering distortion to any
white noise, cymbals, hihats, essonance, and other complex sounds with high
frequency components. Another artifact is the 'melting' of sharp attacks -
percussive sounds (again, especially those with complex high frequency
components) which normally have a sharp attack instead have a 'sweeping'
attack (which is obviously still short but not as sharp as it should be). So
instead of 'Duck Duck Duck' it's 'Whuck Whuck Whuck'

I'll make some recordings and post them on the internet somewhere for other
people to compare. I'll post the URL here sometime.