=== The original message was multipart MIME            ===
 === All non-text parts (attachments) have been removed ===

Dave,

I didn't realize you were recording digitally, using an optical cable.
What is your digital source?  A tape deck with optical out?

I have experienced this noise exactly as you have, when trying to record
digitally from my laptop.  It sounds fine when the MT831 is paused in
recording preview mode, but the actual recording on minidisc has noise
which sounds like its dropping LSBs, or the sample words are
missaligned.  I was thinking that it is either the copyright flag bit in
the SPDIF stream or some kind of format incompatibility with my laptop's
output - but haven't had time to research.   Recording in analog mode
sounds fine, which makes me think its not the ATRAC compression, but
something with the digital input --> ATRAC path.

I even tried reducing and increasing the input levels to test if it is
ADC quantization noise (but there should NOT be an ADC in the path, but
I test anyway).  The noise has the same magnitude and characteristics.
My suspicion is the copy protection bit is active in the stream from my
laptop, the MT831 recognizes this and reduces the compression quality.
I will be very surprised (and very pissed off) if this was a bug in
Sharp's design or poor compression quality on their part.  Can anyone
share their knowledge on what the copy protection bit will do in digital
recording?

Chris Eddington
Sharp MT831-A owner
Santa Clara, CA