* Simon Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Thu, 04 May 2000
| Now we have a new subject to argue about, both Ralph and Rat have suggested
| that poor headphones can cause hiss. I don't think this is possible.

Bad gear sounds bad.  One of the ways that bad gear sounds bad is a hissing
or scratching sound with no obvious source.

| I accept that any transducer can introduce its own harmonics and
| resonances, but HISS ? What is the mechanism ?

Perhaps poorly soldered contacts or unshielded connects inducing feedback
of otherwise inaudible "artifacts" (they are not really artifacts if you
cannot detect them).
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ of skin.