Rat wrote (in reply to Dave Hooper):

      >> * "Dave Hooper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Wed, 03 May 2000
      >> I find that my Sharp-831 does not offer particularly
      >> good compression. I can
      >> clearly HEAR the artifacts, especially if the music
      >> contains a quiet passage
      >> that contains a proportionately large amount of background hiss,
and on
      >> cymbals, hihats, etc.

    > First thing you should do is get a better set of
    > headphones and see if that
    > makes a difference.  If you are hearing any hiss at all,
    > that is probably the reason.

Now we have a new subject to argue about, both Ralph and Rat have suggested
that poor headphones can cause hiss. I don't think this is possible. I
accept that any transducer can introduce its own harmonics and resonances,
but HISS ? What is the mechanism ?

In any case, Dave had written:

    > I ask this because I've borrowed some MDs of the SAME
    > music recorded on a Sony deck (not portable) and the difference is
quite astonishing.

Which implied (at least to me) that he had heard differences using the SAME
portable & headphones.

simon