Luke,

Yeah, analog soundcards on laptops can be REALLY bad depending on how well they
isolated the analog circuitry from the digital circuitry.

I've got a Gateway solo 9300 (or something like that) and it has an optical
SPDIF connector (rectangular).  I found a standard optical cable which directly
plugs into both connectors.

Chris Eddington
Santa Clara, CA