I don't know about that, Billy...for me, it was the portability, size,
and price that factored into my decision.

For less than the price of an MP3 player, I have a portable means of
playing whichever music I like.  For a lot less than the cost of the
memory modules for those same MP3 players, I can purchase a significant
number of minidiscs, record whatever I like onto them, and not have to
worry about erasing the current contents of the media in order to create
and download a new playlist onto the unit.

So, the unit fits in my pocket (or a hip pouch), the media is inexpensive
and convenient, and the price is better.

Sounds like a win-win to me.

<snip>